This one was a pain in the arse. I’m not even sure why I though I’d ever use a noise gate!
After trying a couple of different layouts, I ended up having success with this one. The frustration with this build was around picking the right optocoupler. I gave up on this project for a few months, and then after a lot of experimenting, I got it working.
I tested a bunch of different combinations on my breadboard and ended up using a VTL5C10 with a 180kΩ resistor to tame the LED down. Worked like a charm!
So now it works as it should, a nice smooth optical noise gate.
My favourite part of this project is the sparkly silver enclosure! 😉